Love Tennis

Join our tennis forum and community. Share your passion for the sport with us.

TOPIC: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 02:28 #22292

• NorthernLight
  • Thank you received: 741
I'm not a fan of the big servers/ hitters either - so will tend not to back the likes of Isner, Soderling, Berdbrain or Potty.

On their day, they are all a danger to the top 4. Unfortunately.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 08:25 #22296

• IconA
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Surprised Federer won! If he keeps this hot streak up by winning later today and doing well in Miami the rankings are going to get pretty tight again, if he could get back to number 2 it would shake things up a bit.

Saw most of the Isner match, Djokovic did seem weaker mentally than during the last year, but all credit to Isner for hanging in there!

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 10:20 #22300

• mojoworking
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1089
Roger :bow:

I can't believe it's the first time he's beaten Rafa on outdoor hard since 2005! All I can say is it's overdue. :omg:

I'm sure Rafa will bounce back, especially as Djoko looks much more human this year :thumbsup:

If this continues, with Djoko dropping points and Federer adding to them, there could be quite a 3-way tussle for no.1 in the summer ;)
Last Edit: 18 Mar 2012 10:21 by mojoworking.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 11:06 #22303

• tlim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 383
IconA wrote:
Surprised Federer won! If he keeps this hot streak up by winning later today and doing well in Miami the rankings are going to get pretty tight again, if he could get back to number 2 it would shake things up a bit.

Saw most of the Isner match, Djokovic did seem weaker mentally than during the last year, but all credit to Isner for hanging in there!

Indeed.

If Roger wins later today :pray: he will be on 9350 and Rafa on 10175.

Before the FO Roger is defending 990 points and Rafa is defending 3300.

The way Roger's going I would expect him to have a much better clay season than he did last year; to set against that, it's hard to suppose Nole will clean up again on clay - I think it's likely that Rafa will add to that 3300 if anything - so it is likely to be close.

Nole is on 12670 and (having skipped Monte Carlo last year) actually defending a smidgeon less than Rafa before RG, 3250, so we will surely be back on US hard courts before there's the slightest threat to his position.

I would add some stats on the near-certainty of Isner being top 8 and US No 1 before long but it's too depressing a thought to dwell on.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 11:30 #22304

• tlim
  • Platinum Boarder
mojoworking wrote:

I can't believe it's the first time he's beaten Rafa on outdoor hard since 2005! All I can say is it's overdue.

I was surprised too, but bear in mind they've only played on outdoor hard four times in those seven years, and for almost 3 years, early '06 to early '09 - which I seem to remember were quite good for Roger on HC ;) - not at all.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 11:37 #22305

• liam_valid
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 94
tlim wrote:
IconA wrote:

Indeed.

If Roger wins later today :pray: he will be on 9350 and Rafa on 10175.

Before the FO Roger is defending 990 points and Rafa is defending 3300.

The way Roger's going I would expect him to have a much better clay season than he did last year; to set against that, it's hard to suppose Nole will clean up again on clay - I think it's likely that Rafa will add to that 3300 if anything - so it is likely to be close.

Nole is on 12670 and (having skipped Monte Carlo last year) actually defending a smidgeon less than Rafa before RG, 3250, so we will surely be back on US hard courts before there's the slightest threat to his position.

I would add some stats on the near-certainty of Isner being top 8 and US No 1 before long but it's too depressing a thought to dwell on.

i just woke up and remembered last nights result :( but this race for number one does make things much more fun, especially how roger publically stated it as a goal of his. On Isner, i quite like him. His epic wimbledon match endeared me to him and theres not many who will beat roger AND nole is the space of a few weeks. Plus it amazes me how fit he is despite always having this knackered look on his face from the first point!

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 11:46 #22307

• tlim
  • Platinum Boarder
liam_valid wrote:
On Isner, i quite like him. His epic wimbledon match endeared me to him and theres not many who will beat roger AND nole is the space of a few weeks. Plus it amazes me how fit he is despite always having this knackered look on his face from the first point!

Don't get me wrong, I like him too. But very much in the same way that I like Dr Ivo: lovely bloke, just awful to watch.

(edit - just realised, he's quite the late developer, isn't he? Didn't turn pro until 2007 which is why I didn't realise he will be 27 next month, which I'd have thought was on the older side for breaking into the top 10)
Last Edit: 18 Mar 2012 11:57 by tlim.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 13:56 #22309

• vivahate
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 997
well done Roger :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 15:38 #22313

• Big Al
  • Thank you received: 73
tlim wrote:
liam_valid wrote:
On Isner, i quite like him. His epic wimbledon match endeared me to him and theres not many who will beat roger AND nole is the space of a few weeks. Plus it amazes me how fit he is despite always having this knackered look on his face from the first point!

Don't get me wrong, I like him too. But very much in the same way that I like Dr Ivo: lovely bloke, just awful to watch.

(edit - just realised, he's quite the late developer, isn't he? Didn't turn pro until 2007 which is why I didn't realise he will be 27 next month, which I'd have thought was on the older side for breaking into the top 10)

Its strange how players are peaking in their mid- late twenties these days- look at Melzer, Berdych and Fish.

Im not a fan of watching tall lumbering giants either, but its interesting how they can play well on the slower surfaces where you'd expect their movement would let them down .

TBH I wasnt surprised Isner beat Nole, he hasnt been too convincing recently. .
Not sure about the final, if Ill even bother watching-seems an anticlimax
now.
Last Edit: 18 Mar 2012 15:48 by Big Al.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 15:47 #22314

• Big Al
  • Thank you received: 73
tlim wrote:
mojoworking wrote:

I can't believe it's the first time he's beaten Rafa on outdoor hard since 2005! All I can say is it's overdue.

I was surprised too, but bear in mind they've only played on outdoor hard four times in those seven years, and for almost 3 years, early '06 to early '09 - which I seem to remember were quite good for Roger on HC ;) - not at all.

It is a surprise he won so easily - the commentators were saying the windy conditions suited Nadal much more .

Its strange how they've played so seldom in the US - it only happened in Miami before now.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 16:20 #22315

• vivahate
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 997
Big Al wrote:
Its strange how they've played so seldom in the US - it only happened in Miami before now.

that's because Rafa usually runs out of steam by the time US hardcourts come around...he usually peaks for the clay season.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 21:51 #22327

• NorthernLight
  • Thank you received: 741
GSM Roger 7-6, 6-3

Roger hit more aces than John - 7 to 4..!

Also hit more winners - 29 to 15.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 22:13 #22328

• IconA
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Good match overall I thought, although the end was quite quick.

This rich vein of form is starting to get interesting.

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 22:50 #22329

• choka
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
vivahate wrote:
Big Al wrote:

that's because Rafa usually runs out of steam by the time US hardcourts come around...he usually peaks for the clay season.

and anytime Nadal has got into a hardcourt final, Federer has lost early...

Interesting match, can't believe Isner didn't hit so many aces. I actually am warming to Isner, great serve but the rest of his game is pretty good too. Some great winners against Nole yesterday....

Re: BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells ATP 1000 Masters 18 Mar 2012 22:52 #22330

• tlim
  • Platinum Boarder
:guitar:

Roger was excellent, Isner a bit nervy (understandably).

Against such a big server it is always going to be :peek: for much of the match, but it almost looked as though he'd got back his old trick of "this time I break" - you could see it in his face. Like he'd worked something out. Lovely.

On to Miami....